The Cazenovia Public Library Museum, established over 100 years ago, is designed as a cabinet of curiosity. A phenomena of the Renaissance, Wunderkammern or cabinets of wonder proliferated throughout Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries as vehicles to showcase treasured collections and to inspire reflection and awe. The library’s museum collection has been a source of community learning and enjoyment for generations.
Our museum educational programs highlight various aspects of the collection and meet the New York State Learning Standards for Social Studies. Programs are tailored to specific grade levels and topics and are designed to enhance classroom curriculum.
Cabinet of Curiosities
Our museum collection covers over two thousand years of civilization. By studying this diverse and fascinating collection, students will have the opportunity to view items from around the world.
The Cabinet of Curiosities Program options include:
- The Museum—Private collectors share their treasures.
- The Natural History Collection—The influence of nature on earlier generations.
- Native American Cultures—A comparison with native cultures around the world.
- The Grand Tour—A look at 19th century travel and artifact collection.
- The Egyptian Room—A tantalizing peek into the world of Ancient Egypt.
The Egyptian Program options include:
- The Grand Tour—How Cazenovia came to have a mummy.
- Mummification—A look at the culture and beliefs of ancient Egyptians.
- Artifacts—An explanation of the artifacts within the collection and how they relate to ancient Egyptian civilization.
- CT Scan and X-rays of Hen—What modern science can teach us about ancient Egypt through scientific analysis.
Call the Cazenovia Public Library to book a program, 655.9322—Betsy Kennedy, Director.
We recommend allowing 45 minutes per session with a maximum class size of 25. One adult chaperone per 10 students is requested. Reservations should be booked at least three weeks in advance. Alternate date options are suggested.
While we suggest $1.00 per student, any donation would be gratefully accepted. Teachers, chaperones, and bus drivers receive complimentary admission. Please make check payable to the Cazenovia Public Library.
- After booking, supplemental educational resources will be provided.
- Our programs provide excellent enrichment to NYS curriculum.